How to Pack a Backpack Efficiently
• Don’t pack piecemeal. Lay out everything you think you’ll need to bring and strategize from there.
• Get your big items situated first. Keep weight low and centered. Fuel should be placed at the very bottom of a pack in the event of a leak.
• Look at the amount of clothing you plan to bring, then cut it in half.
Pick baselayers that can provide both breathability and warmth.
• Compression sacks are also your best friend for slimming down puffy items like sleeping bags.
• Deflate your dry food packages with a pin and cover the hole with tape. Put survival items in brain of the pack for fast emergency access.
• Attach lighter items to the front of your pack with carabiners, taking care to balance out each side.
• Shells and outerwear can be stuffed in the front and side pockets.
Source: How to Pack a Backpack Efficiently