10 Tips for Winter Hiking with your Mutt
Here are top tips for hiking with dogs in the winter:
1. First thing to do is check that the area you're planning to visit allows dogs. It also helps to check if that area is even accessible in the winter and to have a backup plan if not.
2. If you don't usually venture out in the snow, start with a shorter trip to see how your dog handles it.
3. Make sure to have lots of treats and/or trail food for dogs on hand.
4. Keep your dog hydrated!
5. Symptoms like excessive shivering, weakness/tiredness, slow and shallow breathing, and lack of alertness are all things that point to hypothermia.
6. Dog's paws can handle a lot in all different kinds of terrain, but it's still important to care for them whether it be before, after, or during the hike.
7. Look into the many options of jackets and coats.
8. Don't let your dog near edges of cliffs or mountains.
9. Work their paws, legs, hips, and anything else. It's tough work on muscles no matter how active they are!
10. the best thing to keep in mind is to get out and have fun with your furry best friend!